Pages

This weekend it's a pleasure to welcome guest YA fantasy author Beth Barany





Welcome Beth thank you for visiting the blog today.

Tell us a little about yourself.

Sure! Thanks for having me on your blog!

I write YA fantasy novels. I've been making up fantasy and adventure stories all my life. I write to empower girls and women with my kick ass heroines and savvy young women. I've been writing since I was a little girl. Even then, I knew I wanted to be a writer.

I also wanted to be a spy, detective, and adventurer. And I wanted to be magic, go to outer space, travel to learn lots of languages.
Today some of my dreams have come true.
I speak fluent French and have lived in Paris, France twice, and in Quebec, Canada, and I've had adventures in three out of the seven continents.
While I haven't gone to outer space yet, I have been working on a story set there.
My stories always have some kind of magic, and romance.


What book have you brought along to tell us about today?

I'm here today to share with you a little about my YA fantsy novel, an award-winning novel: Henrietta The Dragon Slayer, book 1 of the Five Kingdom series.

Here's the blurb:
Henrietta, the legendary Dragon Slayer of the Kingdom of Bleuve, can’t stomach the thought of one more kill. Yet, in order to save her dying mentor, she must go on one last quest. But will misfit companions, seasickness, and an ego maniacal king derail the quest for the healing stone? And will she be able to cut past her conscience and kill the dragon?


Are you working on another book right now?

Yes, I am! I'm getting ready to publish book 1 of the Five Kingdom series, called Henrietta and The Dragon Stone.

What do you enjoy most about writing?
I love submerging myself in another world, and especially stepping into the skin of my characters. I like exploring the edge of bravery and courage, and intimacy and friendship. I also looking picking what's called in French “le juste mot,” just the right word, and paying attention to the rhythm of the language, so my readers step seamlessly into my stories.


What do you like the least?

How long editing takes! I write my first drafts quickly, but need to ruminate over my stories for a long time.

Would you like to see any of your books as movies?

Oh yes! I've always seen Henrietta The Dragon Slayer as a film.

If so can you name any actors you would like to see as the lead characters in your book.

Sure! I'd love to see Jennifer Lawrence, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, or Teresa Palmer in the role of Henrietta the legendary Dragon Slayer!

What things do you like to do to relax?

I love to watch movies, read, and travel to new places, especially to the ocean or sea.

Do you have another job as well as writing?

I do have another job beside writing, one that takes up the majority of my time, besides book marketing! LOL I help authors get back into their writing, finish their books, and publish them. I'm a creativity coach and book consultant.


If you could have one super power in your existence, what would it be?

Only one?! I'd love to be able to fly.


If money were not an object, where would you most like to live?

Paris, France!

What kind of car would you have if money was no object?

A Red Mustang or a Tesla Roadster in Twilight Blue.

What’s your favorite food?

I love oranges. And eggs, potatoes, and bacon. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.

Favorite color?

Well, it's a toss up between orange and blue.

Can you think of a song or piece of music that could be your theme tune?

I love the movie music of John Williams and the soundtrack for Chariots of Fire, written by Vangelis. But I think my theme song could be Bring Me To Life by Evanescence.

Just answer these questions as quickly as possible.


Chocolate or vanilla?-----

chocolate

Dog or cat?----

cat

The film or the book?-----

both


Heels or flats?

flats

Jeans or dress?

jeans

Beach or Snow resort?

beach

Flowers or chocolate?

both

Bath or shower?

shower

What do you love best about yourself?

My humor!

What do you like least?

My worries.

Do you have anything to share with other authors that might be a help?

Oh, I have tons of tools and tips on my blog for writers, Writer's Fun Zone.

Is there anything you would like to say to your readers?

Enjoy Henrietta The Dragon Slayer to escape into a world of heroes and become empowered and inspired.

Can you share one of your favorite parts of one of the books?

From Chapter 1 of  Henrietta The Dragon Slayer:

“You can’t do it anymore, can you, Dragon Slayer.” He drew out the word “slayer” as if it were an insult.
Fear coursed through her at his words, and that made her angry. “I don’t have to listen to this!” A cold sweat broke out under her tunic and across her forehead. She shivered but kept walking, her greatcoat and hat back in the tavern.
“You can’t do it,” he repeated louder. “You have grown soft, weak. That’s what I told my king. You are but a shadow of your former self, if you ever were that Dragon Slayer. I don’t think you killed the Fire Dragon of Britham’s Keep after all. Your story back there was all show. It was your so-called partner who did the deed, and you stole his glory.”
Henrietta froze. She brushed away what little truth he said, and focused on his lies. Anger fired through her body and gave her strength. She turned and stomped back toward the knight. “My partner was a she. But what do you know? I don’t have to listen to your insults.”
“You don’t have it in you,” he said again, holding his ground. “A fool’s errand I was sent on. But duty is duty.” He spat.
Enough. It was time to show this disrespectful knight who it was he insulted.
She didn’t have the advantage of the light, but she was fast. As she feinted toward the trees as if to walk away again, she grabbed the daggers from her belt and slammed them into the frozen ground at the man’s feet, neatly slicing boot leather, hopefully hitting a toe.
He didn’t say a word, but clapped slowly, mocking her, probably smirking. She couldn’t tell. The night shadows still covered his face.
“Fine. Show’s over,” Henrietta said, leaning down for her blades. As soon as she did so, she knew she’d made a stupid mistake. For once she really had had too much ale.
He dug his huge hands into her shoulders, trying to knock her down. The fire of rage washed over her. She ignored the pain and stepped backwards, slipping out of his grasp to head-butt him in the stomach. He fell to the ground with an “oomph.” She had a dagger at his throat before he could open his eyes. She pressed hard, but not enough to draw blood. He got the point. No pun intended.
He glared from his position flat on his posterior.
She glared back. “Did I pass your test?” She let up the pressure on his neck, but didn’t remove the dagger.



Find Beth online:











Buy the book

No comments:

Post a Comment