Pages

Welcome to YA author J Bridger our featured author interviewed this week



Welcome and thank you for visiting the blog today
Tell us a little about yourself
 
I’m twenty-nine, live currently in Raleigh, NC, and have had a varied career. Originally, I was in graduate school to be a developmental psychologist and even worked in a Bolivian mental hospital for six months. Currently, I’m studying to be a Spanish medical interpreter. I’ve always loved the paranormal genre and things from Buffy the Vampire Slayer to Animorphs so it was just natural for me to write books and stories in that genre.

What book have you brought along to tell us about today?

I’m here to talk about my first novel, Shifted Perspective. This is its official blurb on Amazon.com:

Caleb Byrne is a bright high school senior who has enough to deal with between college choices, taking care of his single dad, and dealing with his headstrong girlfriend Joanna and an eccentric set of cousins in California. He was managing to get by until the day he woke up a Cocker Spaniel. Even if it only happens monthly and is more embarrassing than painful, the so-called ability is something that he's anxious to be rid of. 

He didn't realize his transformations would drag him into a hidden society of canine and lupine shape shifters as well as a family legacy he hates. To make matters worse, after moving to Los Angeles to learn more about his heritage from his Aunt Moira and his cousin Kalista, Caleb now struggles through life-and-death matters. He keeps angering the werewolves in charge of the shifter world, especially Kalista's boyfriend Peter, the Southern California alpha's son, who also happens to be grade-A sociopath. Worse, Caleb's floundering to keep his secret from Joanna. 

While his family offers him some support, they may not be enough as Caleb realizes that the rules in shifter society---number one is supposed to be don't kill humans---are not so ironclad. Some werewolf out there is leaving a blood-soaked trail across the Midwest and it might just be with the alpha's blessing...



Are you working on another book right now?

Currently, I’m working on the sequel to Shifted Perspective, called Second Skin. That’s currently being read over by beta readers and eventually going to the editor. I have a few ideas on file that I’m saving up to work on later, including a story about a Latina half-demon. I’m also prepping a serial novel for publication in installments that’s called Taking Flight. I don’t want to spoil it but I will say it’s also young adult paranormal.

What do you enjoy most about writing?

I like creating new worlds and really getting into the characters. There’s something cathartic about having control and being able to call the shots, to be honest.

What do you like the least?

Any time writer’s block comes up. I’ve definitely had that, and it makes me feel so frustrated!

Would you like to see any of your books as movies?

I think so. I think it’d be fun for that, but I’m definitely not holding my breath!

Can you name any actors you would like to see as the lead characters in your book.

I’ve done the casting before for a meme and for my lead, Caleb Byrne, I’d cast Dylan O’Brien of Teen Wolf fame. For his girlfriend, Joanna Queen, I’d cast Rebel Wilson because I think she’s fabulous. Finally, for his friend and the local P.I. in town, Penny Spencer, I’d cast Kat Graham of The Vampire Diaries.

What things do you like to do to relax?

Read, take walks with my dogs, and watch TV.

Do you have another job as well as writing?

I’m a student in medical Spanish interpreting, like I said, but I’m currently doing a lot of volunteer work at local clinics.


If you could have one super power in your existence, what would it be?

I’ve always wanted telekinesis. I just think it’s the coolest.

If money were not an object, where would you most like to live?

La Paz, Bolivia, no doubt!

What kind of car would you have if money was no object?

I’m a bit cheesy but maybe a ’67 Chevy Impala or, possibly, a restored De Soto.

What’s your favorite food?

Macaroni and Cheese.

Favorite color?

I like to wear black but I love the color blue in design.

Can you think of a song or piece of music that could be your theme tune?

How about Corner of the Sky from the musical Pippin.

Just answer these questions as quickly as possible.


Chocolate or vanilla?----- chocolate

Dog or cat?---- dog

The film or the book?----- usually the book

Heels or flats? flats

Jeans or dress? jeans

Beach or Snow resort? Snow resort

Flowers or chocolate? flowers

Bath or shower? bath


What do you love best about yourself?

That I like to be open to new experiences and am game to try a lot of unusual stuff.

What do you like least?

That I can be a perfectionist.


Do you have anything to share with other authors that might be a help?

You have to do your own thing and, yes, take constructive criticism into account to get better, but you also have to realize you can’t please everyone.

Is there anything you would like to say to your readers?

Thanks for being supportive, and school delayed me but I am getting out Second Skin this summer.
 Meanwhile here is an excerpt from Shifted Perspective


Can you share one of your favorite parts of one of the books?


It was starting. I knew it was coming, knew that something horrible was going to start up any minute. I didn’t even know how to explain that I knew, just that it was on its way and that I was scared. My stomach hurt and every time I closed my eyes, I could see the ground shaking. There weren’t even earthquakes in North Carolina. It wasn’t something that ever happened here, but it didn’t stop me from feeling like it was coming. I’d dreamed about it for a few weeks now and today, the moment I woke up, I knew it was coming.
Mom hadn’t believed me at all. She thought I was a liar, was making up stories, but I wasn’t. The ground was going to shake so hard and our little house wasn’t made for it. All the shelves would fall, the windows would crack. She still didn’t believe anything I said. I cried then, screamed as loud as I could, threw myself on the ground and yelled. Frustrated, Mom took me to my bathroom, to the one room without windows. Dad joined us both when he came home for his lunch break from the store. I was still crying, had been for hours, and it was the only way to keep them from leaving. Dad was trying to pry me from the tub when the rumbling hit. After that no one tried to move me at all.
When the quake was done, Mom just stared at me like I had three heads or something. Her mouth was open so wide.
“How did you know?”
Blinking back at her, I burst back into tears. “I just did.”
Mom didn’t have an answer for that, just stood there and didn’t even move to hug me. That hurt, and I felt so confused and scared, at least until Dad hugged me and went with me to my room. My bed was still together. I curled up under my covers and let my dad pat my back. I was too old for that, you know? I was almost in seventh grade but it had been a bad day and Mom was being weird.
“Caleb, shh,” Dad said. “It’s okay. I don’t care how you knew. Thank you.”
I sniffled and forced myself to finally stop crying. Guys my age weren’t supposed to do that. “You’re welcome.”
Mom didn’t come in the room at all, and, less than a week later, was gone from our lives forever.



Find Margaret online:
 

Buy the book


No comments:

Post a Comment